Friday, August 28, 2015

Stuffed Patty Pan Squash

This was the first year I grew Patty Pans out in my garden.  I bought the seeds because the squash looked so pretty - I didn't have a clue what I would do with them !

After some online searches - I knew I'd be making my own recipe up - most everything I found online used bacon, and we do not eat pork in my family.

This turned out SOOOO well - even the kids loved it.  I had leftover rice - so it worked out perfectly - so schedule this on your menu a day after you serve something with rice !




Stuffed Patty Pan Squash

4 Patty Pan Squash
1 Onion
3 cloves of Garlic (I used 5)
1/2 pepper  (any type - I used a semi-hot pepper sliced really thin)
salt and pepper
1 LB ground lamb (you could use beef or turkey)
1 bunch cilantro
Cumin
Turmeric
1-2 cups precooked rice
Parmesan Cheese




Cut the tops off your squashes, - I threw mine away, but I guess you could save it for a garnish?  I hollowed out the seeds with a spoon, then took out most of the flesh in a separate bowl to cook with the stuffing.  I coated the insides of each squash with olive oil, flipped them upside down on a cookie sheet (with the hole facing down) and stuck them in a 350* oven - for about 20 minutes.  While they were cooking, I sauteed an onion, then added some garlic, and 1/2 a pepper sliced very thinly.  After they were soft, I added Cumin and Turmeric, the flesh from the squash cut into small bite size pieces,  then I added a pound of lamb meat (plenty of filling for 4 large Patty Pans).  After the lamb meat was cooked through, I added in the rice until it was all combined.  After everything was cooked and well combined, I turned off the heat and added the chopped cilantro.   Once the Patty Pans felt soft and the outside edges were browned, I took them out of the oven, stuffed them, sprinkled some Parmesan Cheese on top - and threw them back in the oven - which I then turned off - I let them sit for about 15 minutes while the oven cooled - and when I took them out - they looked just like the picture above, and tasted delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment